Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Year of Indiana

If, before I had kids, someone had told me that children’s personalities are set in stone before their first birthday, I’d have laughed. Because ridiculous, right?
And yet, three kids later, I have to say (and I’ll say it in a stage whisper so I don’t seem insane): I think it’s true.

Cole was a happy, sweet, funny kid. Agreeable. Smiled a lot. Six years later? Check.
Riis was wildly unpredictable. Yelled, hollered and cried. Weeping, then laughing. Funny. Loved attention. Yep. Check.
And Indy? She was pure joy right out of the gate. As soon as she was physically able, she smiled. And she’s been smiling ever since.
We jokingly call her our “baby puppy” because she’s got that same relentlessly upbeat energy. We’re out to dinner? Ok! We’re getting in the car? Great! It’s time for bed? Awesome!

It’s just unreal. After our … difficult experience with Riis, I forgot that babies could be fun. The other day, Josh remarked that not ONE thing we’ve tried to do has been ruined by this kid. Never. Not once. No crying in a restaurant, no screaming for sleep late night at a party, no puking in a car. Basically, this one is the OPPOSITE of a problem.

And I’m so grateful for her.

Happy Birthday, Indiana.













1 comment:

Beth said...

And I haven't ever gotten to meet any of them....we MUST make that a priority!!! Happy 1st birthday sweet girl!!!!