Thursday, June 17, 2010

Long Beach







We went to the aquarium today. I wanted to see the ocean without having to, you know, DO the ocean. Beach days are stressful, hot and messy, but in pier in Long Beach has no sand, just boats and cool breezes.

I actually considered taking them on a short cruise around the harbor, then decided that's an adventure best done with backup. I suddenly pictured Riis hanging over the rail to get a better look at a dolphin and *splash.*

Anyway, we brought lunch and ate on a sun-warmed bench and it was all kinds of nice. The meltdowns (from both of them today -- Cole's trying on five for size, and the suit seems to be ill-fitting) didn't begin until later.

So this was the nice part of our day, when everyone was smiling and giddy with the smell of the sea.

Bonus: I was looking through iphoto, and stumbled on this picture of Cole in June 2008. He was wasn't even three. Makes my heart hurt.

1 comment:

Janelle Nelson said...

I just love these pictures of the kids - they are the essence of the fun and ease of living in CA, to me. Oh yeah, and they're adorable. But they grow way to quickly...