The Civil War has popped up in our lives in unexpected ways over the years. We used to live blocks away from Cooper Union in New York. We stopped at Gettysburg with our rented U-Haul when Josh moved me out to Williamsburg. The name "Ulysses" was floated for our firstborn. (Not for long, mind you.)Whether it's because of his middle name or just a fascination with the conflict itself, Josh is really, really into the war. So far, it's been a healthy obsession, falling into the safe realm of books and an occasional documentary. But I've always secretly feared he'd cross to the other side--the REENACTORS.
Frankly, I thought we were safe out here on the West Coast. Not many battles fought on the shores of the Pacific, right?
Well, last Saturday, our little family found ourselves in Huntington Beach, watching the Union army go head to head with the Rebels.

Actually, it wasn't much of a battle. Kind of a smattering of participants. But it was fun, I'll admit. Josh primed Cole for the whole thing, so he was giddy with the idea of witnessing "a battle!"

He was into it at first, especially the blasters.

Then he got a little spooked by the cannons.

Riis? She just thought the whole thing was kind of silly.
1 comment:
Hey Nikki! I love the battle scene with Riis' wee hand entering the picture from the left side.
Looks like you guys had fun!
Janelle
Post a Comment