Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Variety

Last week, Norma, Riis's favorite teacher and surrogate auntie, said something along the lines of, "I can't wait until she gets a little older. Poor thing eats the same thing every day."

Now, I think she meant purees. Or that fact that I send sweet potatoes a lot. (What? They're a superfood! And she loves them!)

But the same thing? The same...thing???

This was Friday's menu. In case you can't read my scribble, her veggies were lentils with tofu, peas, and squash. And another dish with apple/mango cubes and blueberry. Along with it, I sent half an avocado and half a banana. I don't think this baby is hurting for variety:


In other news, she exploded developmentally this weekend. On Saturday, she took two or three tottering little steps between Josh and me in the kitchen. She's nowhere near stable yet, but she's getting there. Crazy, when Cole was such a late walker.
And the speech! She has an official word now. Not "mama" or "dada." No, in typical Riis fashion, it's contrary.

"Stop."

It's what they say instead of "no" at the Casita, and last week Norma told Josh that Riis was saying it to the other kids when they'd bother her. I didn't believe her, not really, but Riis proved me wrong. All weekend long, if we'd chide her for playing with cords or biting, she would echo in a forceful little staccato: "STOT!"
Very pleased with herself.

No comments: