It's the Fair.
Kind of like it's just Up North. Everyone gets it. It's running in the veins of every Minnesota newborn.
It's all about the legacy of the state, the agriculture, the 4-H kids, the Princess Kays of the Milky Ways. There are copious foods on a stick, an understanding that cheese curds are non-negotiable, and a golden gopher to usher in the crowds.
Well, it turns out that Los Angeles also has such an event. And today we tried it out.
And we had fun. But I won't try to hide the truth. This fair had palm trees. And that just isn't right.
Once I got over the mountain backdrop and glare of the desert sun, it was fun. Different, but fun. We started off at the funnel cake stand. Open, mouths, insert.
(Again, Riis's appearance is not her fault. This time, Mama got sunscreen in her eyes, which made her look like someone punched her all day. It's tough, this applying sunscreen, I'm telling you.)
Anyway, Cole had a turn on a John Deer tricycle-tractor.
Riis had her first ice cream.
So we rewarded him with his greatest wish: a huge plastic Spiderman. He was thrilled. He took it to bed tonight, until he saw its shadow in the dark room. Then he asked me to take it to the living room, because "I think I would be scared of it, mama. I'll play with it in the morning."
No comments:
Post a Comment