Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter 2009

Have you ever been to Target the Friday before Easter? I don't recommend it.

Here's Cole, dying his eggs. We strapped Riis into her highchair and pretended we weren't doing anything fun. Because we are mean, but also because she just learned to climb up on the benches of our table, and a 16-month-old plus cups full of permanent dye pretty much equals no way in hell at our house.

(He tried using the wire holder thing, but quickly decided his hands were a faster method. The green dye was the most intense, so he looked like the Incredible Hulk by the time we were finished.)





We got invited to a friend's house for an egg hunt, so I put Cole in a clean shirt, and then realized, "Wait! I have a real, live dress-up doll and a holiday designed to showcase impractical clothing!"



So Riis bore the brunt of it. My mom sent her this, an Easter dress if there ever was one.





Here are some shots from the get-together. Lots of kids milling about, a backyard swingset, and bloody marys for the grownups. One of the best, most relaxed afternoons we've had in a ages.














When we tried to get all of the kids together for a picture, Riis was having none of it. This photo is great, because you can instantly pick out which kid is Riis's brother. Her yelling has everyone turned to look at her except for Cole, who's so used to the noise that he completely ignores it.





The night before this, I decided I'd had enough of Riis's mullet, so I pulled out the scissors and snipped off an inch or so while she was splashing in the tub. It seemed innocent enough, but then...it dried. And I found out I'd actually given her a bit of a wedge haircut. After looking at it all day Sunday, I've decided I actually like it.



Some of the other parents in Riis's daycare have a good-natured (I hope) label for her: "The Grand Dame of the Infant Room." I think it's hilarious, because of course it's true. Something about this picture reminded me of that nickname. I can see her wishing we'd hang a big blown-up print of it over her own bed.

No comments: